During this jointly-hosted Climate Strategies and Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) event, the two organizations presented and discussed the results of their mutli-institute analysis project, “Carbon Pricing for Low-Carbon Investment.” The joing project was led by CPI Berlin director Karsten Neuhoff with participation from CPI, the London School of Economics, DIW Berlin, ETH-Zürich, ISI-Fraunhofer, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, and the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg.
Event participants discussed the role of the EU ETS in contributing to European decarbonisation objectives, in particular, whether it encourages investment in low-carbon projects and technologies. The conversation was informed by insights from manufacturing and power industry surveys and examined whether the ETS:
- Captures the attention of companies,
- Facilitates the assessment of low-carbon investment opportunities, and
- Supports their implementation.
The effectiveness of the EU ETS in delivering these objectives was also discussed, as well as policy refinements and complementary policy instruments to accelerate low-carbon investment in Europe.
- Jill Craig, Deputy Managing Director, Edelman¦The Centre
- Karsten Neuhoff, CPI Berlin
- Michel Colombier, IDDRI, Paris
- Yvon Slingenberg, DG CLIMA, European Commission
- Bruno Vanderborght, Holcim