12th Annual SKBI Conference and 1st SGFC Regional Conference brings together academics, policymakers, and industry experts from Singapore and across the region to network and discuss sustainable energy solutions.
Session 3: Facilitating the Transition from Coal to Renewables
Monday, December 5, 2022 at 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm
Challenges and strategies for retiring coal-based electricity generating capacity around the region: This session will examine various aspects of transition risk for coal-based electricity generation and strategies for addressing it. It will focus on the merits and feasibility of accelerated decommissioning of coal-fired plants, including the social cost of prematurely closing coal plants. It will review various facilities and financing mechanisms that have or are being mooted to help reduce dependence on coal for electricity generation across the region.
CPI’s India Director, Dhruba Purkayastha will be speaking on India’s coal phase down and the possible approaches at 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm.
- Gireesh Shrimali, Sim Kee Boon Institute for Financial Economics (SKBI)
- Wang Ke, Renmin University of China (RUC)
- Abhishek Bhaskar, Climate Investment Funds (CIF)
- Dion Camangon, Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Navroz Dubash, Centre for Policy Research (CPR)