The Organisation of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OACPS), the European Commission (EC), and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) are holding the 4th International Tripartite Conference on “Slum Upgrading and Prevention in the Decade of Action”.
The conference will take place online from 6 to 8 July 2021 within the framework of the global policy dialogue of the Participatory Slum Upgrading Programme (PSUP) implemented in 190 cities in 40 African, Caribbean and Pacific countries, initiated by the Organisation of African, Caribbean and Pacific States and financed by the European Commission.
The conference will bring global, national, city and community leaders together in policy dialogues, practitioners in working sessions, and financing partners in round-tables to take stock of progress made in transforming living conditions in informal settlements and slums in African, Caribbean and Pacific countries and around the world.
The Cities Climate Finance Leadership Alliance will be partaking in the following events:
WORKING SESSION 5: Climate Resilience for Urban Poor
Date: 8th July 2021, 11:00-12:30 (EAT)
One of the most significant challenges for climate change adaptation is how to build resilience for the one billion urban dwellers who are estimated to live in slums and informal settlements. Climate change rapidly presents additional risks for those living in already inadequate living conditions in informal settlements and slums. As the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change bluntly warns: “Risks are concentrated in informal settlements”.
The session will present case studies, discuss key principles and practical approaches to develop critical recommendations for integrating climate adaptation considerations into slum upgrading strategy, including the Declaration’s Action Framework and policy recommendations.
Speakers and Panelists:
- Dr David Dodman, Director, Human Settlements Group, IIED
- Idan Sasson, Project Coordinator, The Cities Climate Finance Leadership Alliance
- Mercy Dube, Director of the Department of Urban Development in the Ministry of Lands Housing and Urban Development, Malawi
- Fruzsina Strauss, Programme Manager, UN-Habitat Regional Office for Africa, UN-Habitat Adaptation Fund Portfolio in Africa and CityRAP in SADC sub-region
- Arghya Sinha Roy, Senior Climate Change Specialist, Asian Development Bank
Facilitator: Bernhard Barth, UN-Habitat