The seventh session of the Global Platform (GP2022) will be organized and convened by the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) from 23 to 28 May 2022, in Bali, Indonesia, hosted by the Government of Indonesia. The event will be co-chaired by the Government of Indonesia and UNDRR.
CPI’s Tiza Mafira will be speaking at this on site event on Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 14:15 CIT.
Session: Financing Local Investment Through Risk-Informed and Bankable Strategies
Investing in disaster risk reduction is a precondition for developing sustainably in a rapidly changing climate. It is estimated that global investments of €1.6 trillion inappropriate disaster risk reduction strategies could avoid losses of €6.4 trillion. However, the current level of DRR finance does not match the scale of the challenges. While several tools are available to support the development of inclusive local disaster risk reduction strategies and action plans, the challenge has been the conversion of the actions in these strategies into bankable projects. This session looks at how technical and institutional capacity may be developed at the local level to prepare and coordinate complex resilience project portfolios that can attract finance.
This session will:
- Analyze existing gaps and challenges hampering the ability to access and mobilize required financial resources;
- Understand how local governments and communities, including women’s organizations, have accessed funding and finance;
- Discuss practical solutions for developing risk-informed and bankable resilience projects;
- Identify opportunities for increasing national budgetary allocations and city revenue generation for DRR;
- Deliver recommendations on what more needs to be done by stakeholders.