Regions and cities play a key role in catalysing the green transition, the need for which has been accentuated by the COVID-19 pandemic and ongoing war in Ukraine. However, subnational government budgets are insufficient on their own to finance and fund the scale of climate action needed to transition to a carbon-neutral economy by 2050. There is therefore a crucial need to support subnational governments in mobilising additional public and private climate finance.
Session 2: Mobilising public and private finance for subnational climate action
CPI’s Priscilla Negreiros will be speaking at this session on Wednesday, June 22 at 11:20 – 12:20 CET.
- Catherine Wendt, Head of Unit for Smart and Sustainable Growth, DG Regional and Urban Policy, European Commission
- D. Ignacio Méndez Cortegano, Secretary General of Finance, Regional Government of Andalusia (Spain)
- Björn Bergstrand, Head of Sustainability, Kommuninvest (Sweden)
- Monica Scatasta, Director, Technical Assessment and Monitoring Directorate, Council of Europe Development Bank
- Priscilla Negreiros, Manager, Cities Climate Finance Leadership Alliance
- Riikka Torppa, Deputy Head of Unit for Revenue Administration and Public Financial Management, DG Structural Reform Support (DG REFORM), European Commission
- Courtenay Wheeler, Policy Analyst, OECD/CFE