ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
CPI is an analysis and advisory organization with deep expertise in finance and policy. Our mission is to help governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive economic growth while addressing climate change. CPI has six offices around the world in Brazil, India, Indonesia, Kenya, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
We are seeking a talented and driven Communications Associate who will play a key role in supporting CPI’s Asia-Pacific initiatives, especially in Indonesia and India where CPI has two active offices. Candidates must possess the ability to translate economics and financial language into clear, concise, and accessible insights. You will leverage multiple communications tools to influence decision makers at the highest levels of the public and private sectors, as well as academia and civil society. Candidates will have a passion for CPI’s mission, including a strong, demonstrated interest in sustainable business, finance, and policy, and dedication to expanding CPI’s impact during this critical time in climate policy and finance.
This position will be based with CPI’s Indonesia office, and includes daily interaction with the India office. You will report to the Head of Communications, based in the United States, and will work closely with the leaders and analysts of CPI’s India and Indonesia offices. You will collaborate regularly with the global communications team, and analysts, leadership, and operations colleagues around the world. You will also work with external stakeholders and media.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the writing, editing, and review process for work products from CPI’s Indonesia, India, and global offices, including analytical papers, presentations, blog posts, and opinion editorials targeted at multiple local and global audiences – including policymakers, finance leaders, and heads of state. This work includes writing new material based on CPI work, assisting analysts with storyboard and overall structure of reports, developmental editing, copyediting, and proofreading.
- Develop and execute communications strategies and plans, including event and speaking opportunities, media outreach, meetings with decision-makers and influencers, webinars, blogs, social media, and other channels of communication.
- Support business development efforts including writing and editing of pitches, requests for proposals, and other business development materials, as well as providing input on the communications budget portion of proposals.
- Research and pursue opportunities for speaking engagements, opinion editorial pieces, blogs, and more to highlight and promote the ideas of CPI staff on the topics of sustainable finance and climate finance policy effectiveness; prepare talking points that pithily tie CPI work to emerging trends and news items; train and prepare research team on presentation skills.
- Assist the Head of Communications and Indonesia and India Directors in developing and managing stakeholder relations with policymakers, influencers, media representatives, global CPI staff, contractors, and vendors.
- Monitor and track policy developments and activity in Asia to help CPI’s Executive Team focus analysis on key, relevant policy issues.
- Help develop and manage content on CPI’s website and social media channels.
- Directly line manage a Digital Communications Assistant based in India.
- Support the design and layout of CPI products.
- Actively contribute to efforts of CPI’s global communications team, including communications infrastructure, technology, knowledge management, project management, and, most important, camaraderie.
- Assist with other communications activities as needed, including event planning, publicity, online communications, and design.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Commitment to the mission and values of CPI.
- BS or BA required with coursework in journalism, English, or other writing-intensive subject or equivalent professional experience
- Proven and progressive professional experience in a communications role (could include work in communications strategy, journalism, public affairs, political campaigns, public relations, etc.).
- Experience pitching, networking with, and responding to media.
- Advanced business fluency in English, with ability to develop nuanced written communications in finance and policy areas.
- Exceptional written communications skills; with the ability to create and restructure as well as copyedit.
- Experience writing in a variety of formats – print publications, briefing papers, blogs, press releases, speeches and visual presentations, web content, social media, etc.
- Passion for technical finance and policy material and proven ability to translate complex qualitative and quantitative analyses into accessible language for expert and non-technical audiences.
- Superb attention to detail, strong organizational, project management, and prioritization skills, and an ability to work under pressure and on tight deadlines.
- Flexibility, professionalism, poise, enthusiasm for working as part of a team, and an ability to maintain a sense of humor and interact with a diverse array of people.
ADDITIONAL DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Background or understanding of climate policy, climate finance, and/or sustainable development
- Advanced proficiency in MS PowerPoint and Word; intermediate proficiency with PowerPoint
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including image editing and publication layout
- Online and in-person event management experience
- Fluency in Bahasa Indonesian a plus
TITLE AND COMPENSATION
CPI is hiring for one position, open immediately. The position will be located in Indonesia, but may require international travel. Candidates must be qualified to work in Indonesia (CPI cannot sponsor work visas or permits). Exact title and compensation will be based on experience.
Visit our website to submit an application. With your application, attach two documents in English: (1) CV/resume, (2) a cover letter outlining why you want to work with CPI and how your experience and skills match the above-mentioned criteria, followed by a writing sample of 5 pages or less that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself.
The position will remain open until we find the right candidate to join our team. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and we therefore encourage you to submit your application at the earliest opportunity. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Please add email@example.com to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.
Climate Policy Initiative is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and we are working to embed DEI across every facet of our organisation. We seek to establish a working environment where all board members, staff, volunteers, and contractors feel respected and valued regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation or identity, disability, education, or any other bias. We want to create an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are openly valued as critical to the success of our organization and the achievement of our mission and vision.
If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application. We will then work with you to identify the best way to assist you through the recruitment process.