Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is a team of analysts and advisors that works with policy makers around the world to improve the most important land use and energy policies, with a particular focus on finance. CPI works in places that provide the most potential for policy impact including Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia and the United States. Our work helps nations grow while addressing increasingly scarce resources and climate risks. This is a complex challenge in which policy plays a crucial role.
The Brazil office works in partnership with PUC-Rio and runs a number of economic and legal research initiatives that focus on helping increase the protection of natural resources and food production in Brazil. More information about the Climate Policy Initiative in Brazil can be found at http://climatepolicyinitiative.org/brazil.
About the Position
This position, based in the Brazil office, will form part of the Sustainable Infrastructure team. CPI’s work in this area focuses on empirically measuring the direct and indirect impacts of infrastructure projects identifying opportunities for sustainable infrastructure development in Brazil. The position also involves deep engagement with policymakers and stakeholders in the academic, private, and non-profit sectors to advance public policy reforms that balance agricultural production and environmental protection.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Head of Policy Evaluation, the Senior Analyst will participate in the development of robust and careful empirical analysis. The ideal candidate for the position is focused, self-driven, and empirically curious. CPI expects the Senior Analyst to identify and pursue policy-relevant research questions and lead specific research streams. The Senior Analyst will produce high-quality materials under demanding deadlines, so the ideal candidate must also systematically demonstrate acute attention to detail and a strong capacity to prioritize when simultaneously tackling multiple tasks. The Senior Analyst will also be responsible for writing academic papers and policy reports and will interact with policymakers and stakeholders in the private, academic, and non-profit sectors.
- Perform rigorous quantitative evaluation and produce and format analytical output (tables, graphs, maps).
- Train, manage and provide guidance to junior staff on professional work practices and lead by example
- Handle a variety of data formats; build and run procedures for statistical and econometric analyses.
- Write and edit high-quality CPI products, including technical papers, full reports, policy briefs, white papers, and presentations, working closely with the Communications team.
- Engage with policymakers, researchers, and stakeholders in the private and non-profit sectors throughout the research process and communicate on the implications of research findings.
- Strictly observe requirements for transparent and reproducible research in the execution of daily tasks.
MAJOR lead specific evaluations and research projects; conduct analysis and manage team of research analysts or assistants in conducting empirical evaluations; contribute to the design of analytical products; write technical reports, policy briefs, and research summaries; engage with researchers and policymakers to ensure policy relevance; identify new areas for strategic engagement.
MEDIUM collect, clean, and treat data in a variety of formats and from a variety of sources; run procedures for statistical and econometric analyses; participate in and conduct internal and external presentations; support fundraising and reporting efforts.
MINOR communicate and collaborate with CPI staff working around the globe; travel if needed.
- Extensive and progressive professional experience in financial services, management consulting, international nonprofit, government, and/or a multi-lateral institution
- Understanding of empirical evaluation methods and econometrics for policy evaluation
- Independent, analytical mind with an excellent track record of applying sound financial, political and strategic judgment to complex issues
- Master’s or in economics or related fields is required; PhD is a plus
- Experience with data management and analytics (R or Stata) is required; experience with LaTeX is a plus
- Experience with geo-referenced information, satellite information is required
- Experience analyzing public policy and/or leading applied research is required
- Private sector and/or government or multi-lateral experience preferred
- Verbal and written proficiency in Portuguese and English languages are required
- Advanced programming skills (preferably R or Stata) for data management and analytics
- Acute and constant attention to detail
- Strong organization and prioritization skills
- Ability to identify policy relevant areas of high impact for CPI’s work
- Ability to translate complex research to a broad audience
- Ability to communicate clearly (verbally and in writing) in Portuguese and English
- Intellectually and empirically curious
- Self-driven and independent, but enthusiastic about working as part of a team
- Flexible and adaptable
- Interested in evidence-based decision-making
- Interested in environmental topics and public policy evaluation
- Committed to the mission and values of CPI
Compensation and Benefits
CPI is hiring for one full-time position, open immediately. The position is located in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. CPI in Brazil hires through the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro and offers competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should click here to submit their CV and application letter outlining why you want to work with CPI and how your skills and experience align with the above requirements no later than April 30, 2021. Application letters should be written in English and should include a brief description of the candidate’s academic and professional experience, as well as of the candidate’s professional aspirations.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next phase of the selection process. Climate Policy Initiative is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and we are working to embed DEI across every facet of our organization. We are committed to having a gender diverse team. We have gender parity across our global team and we are working to achieve gender equality within each global office.
Aligned with CPI’s commitment to gender equality, we encourage qualified candidates of all genders to apply. We are committed to providing a safe working environment for team members of all genders.