CPI is an analysis and advisory organization with deep expertise in finance and policy. Our mission is to help governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive economic growth while addressing climate change. CPI has six offices around the world in Brazil, India, Indonesia, Kenya, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
CPI is known as a leader in tracking sustainable investment trends, identifying innovative business models, and supporting the solutions that can drive a transition to a low-carbon, climate-resilient economy. We are unique in our focus on finance, our ability to get the right people to the table, and our analytical rigor.
ABOUT THE LAB
The Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance (The Lab) is a public-private initiative that identifies, develops, and launches cutting-edge climate finance instruments. It aims to drive billions of dollars of private investment into climate change mitigation and adaptation in developing countries.
Since launching in 2014, The Lab and its initiatives have successfully launched 49 new innovative financial instruments, have been endorsed by the G7 and collectively attracted over USD 2.3 billion in seed capital through the instruments that were endorsed by the Lab Members.
Over the years the Lab has launched three regional programs of India, Brazil and Southern Africa. Since the launch of these regional initiatives, starting with India in 2015, followed by Brazil in 2016 and most recently Southern Africa in 2019, these regional Labs have been working in parallel with the overall Lab to develop innovative financial instruments or program focusing on the specific geography with the potential to scale-up private sector investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency, climate adaptation, and/or sustainable land-use of climate finance related products.
The Lab is seeking a talented and motivated senior consultant to curate, build, represent, and help lead the Brazil Program of the Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance. In addition, the consultant will contribute to the successful development of climate finance instruments for the Lab Program in Brazil, as well as replication and scale-up of proven financial solutions from the Lab portfolio.
The Consultant will work in collaboration with the Global Lab Program Manager and work closely with a range of national and international partners from the policy, finance, and corporate spheres, as well as with CPI teams in Brazil and across the world.
The Consultant will work with, and in some cases guide the work of the Lab Program Coordinator, Lab Analysts, and the Lab Communications Lead, drawing on robust and careful analysis, including methodologies from economics, public policy, finance, and other academic and commercial disciplines the Consultant may bring to the table.
The successful candidate will bring strong knowledge of Brazil’s national climate and economic development priorities, as well as key climate policy frameworks and market conditions impacting the region more broadly. The Consultant should also bring an exceptional grasp of the policy, grant funder, and private investor stakeholder landscapes in Brazil, and ideally will hold relationships with key actors.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Including the following and others as required:
- Work closely with international partners from the policy, finance, and corporate spheres, as well as with CPI teams throughout the world in instrument development and working group management tasks.
- Lead business development and strategy to improve the Lab’s presence and impact in Brazil, and Latin America more broadly developing a regional strategy, relationships with stakeholders, partners, investors, and other relevant parties
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders in the climate, agriculture, and renewable energy sectors, and provide advice and support to Lab and CPI Senior Management
- Oversee continued support activities for Lab instruments, including oversight of deliverables, events, and managing investor outreach
- Deliver high-quality outputs on time and within a budget
- Support & collaborate with Lab Program Coordinator, Technical Lead, Program Manager & other key Lab staff
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- MA or MSc degree with coursework in finance, economics, environmental policy (focus on energy, water/sanitation, land-use a plus), or another relevant field
- Progressively senior experience in climate finance, development finance, management consulting, policy, and/or energy markets and/or sustainable land use
- Private sector experience, preferably in the financial sector and/or government or multilateral experience is highly valuable
- Advanced knowledge of Brazilian policy environment, energy markets, and/or key sustainable land-use and agriculture issues
- Familiarity with climate adaptation issues and concepts strongly preferred
- Familiarity with blended finance instruments / approaches strongly preferred
Working fluency in English and Portuguese required. The consultant must be able to communicate seamlessly in both languages, though for written materials, there will be a strong emphasis on the individual’s comprehension and writing skills in English. Additionally, Spanish language skills are a plus.
CPI is seeking the services of an independent contractor for an immediate start. We strongly prefer the contractor to be based in Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paolo however exceptional candidates may be considered who are based elsewhere in the country.
During the current coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, CPI has adopted a flexible working policy and all staff are currently working remotely. Attendance at the office will be fully optional through the remainder of 2021.
CPI offers competitive rates, based on experience.
Click here to submit an application. With your application, attach two documents in English: (1) An up to date CV and (2) a cover letter outlining why you want to work with CPI and how your skills and experience align with the above criteria.
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis so we encourage applicants to submit at the earliest opportunity. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Please be sure to add email@example.com to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.
Climate Policy Initiative is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and we are working to embed DEI across every facet of our organization. We seek to establish a working environment where all board members, staff, volunteers, and contractors feel respected and valued regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation or identity, disability, education, or any other bias. We want to create an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are openly valued as critical to the success of our organization and the achievement of our mission and vision.
If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application. We will then work with you to identify the best way to assist you through the recruitment process.