CPI is looking for a senior communications associate to join our global communications team. You will lead communications efforts for a portion of our growing sustainable finance programs, as well as be primarily responsible for editing across all our programs.
You will possess the ability to translate economics, finance, and policy analysis into clear, concise, and accessible insights for investors and policymakers. You will take a leading role in aligning CPI content with the most recent trends in climate finance and policy, in ways that directly speak to our target audiences. You will directly structure and edit CPI content, as well as help build CPI’s writing and storytelling capabilities to ensure CPI expertise provides actionable guidance to decision makers at the highest levels. Candidates should have a strong interest in sustainable business, investment, finance, and economics, and dedication to CPI’s mission and impact.
You will report to the Global Head of Communications and will closely collaborate with communications, analyst, leadership, and operations colleagues around the world. You will also work with external stakeholders including funders, investors, partner NGOs, and media.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
- Develop and carry out integrated, external communications strategies that are aligned with directly influencing the intended audience and have measurable KPIs
- Guide content development from concept to publication—including storyboards, key messaging, structure, and editing—of CPI research products, presentations, op-eds, and other written content
- Provide training and editorial guidance across the communications and program teams to ensure content is high-quality, error free, relatable, engaging, and elevates the CPI brand
- Maintain and evolve CPI’s in-house style guide, and ensure adherence to brand, editorial style, and citation standards
- Maintain and evolve a repository of talking points that summarizes CPI’s body of work and addresses current issues in climate finance and policy
- Support internal communications that builds cohesion and reinforces CPI’s positive and inspiring culture
- Help with content taxonomy, keywords, and tagging to ensure web content is optimized for search indexing and discovery
- Occasionally lead or help with media relations, including identifying outlets and placing stories in top-tier business, financial, and energy sector media
COMPETENCIES & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to turn economic and finance analysis into engaging and accessible insights for investors, policymakers, and other stakeholders
- Impeccable English writing and editing skills, including a proven ability to turn technical content drafted by researchers and analysts into compelling copy in a variety of formats, from long research reports to short policy briefs, blogs, and op-eds
- Expertise in message crafting, content restructuring, and copyediting (fluency in AP Style is not a requirement but will be highly beneficial)
- Proven record of excellent writing and editing demonstrated in a professional portfolio
- Independent worker and strategic thinker, who learns quickly and can successfully navigate uncharted territory
- Polished, diplomatic interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships in a cross-cultural, global working environment that inspires, motivates, and influences highly-discerning team members
- Outstanding organizational, project management, and prioritization skills, capable of managing deliverables and influencing people across locations to overcome barriers, meet deadlines, and achieve project goals
- Ability to work flexibly and with a solutions-oriented approach, under pressure, and on tight deadlines
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel are heavily used on a daily basis)
- Some experience with social media and online content campaign development, execution, and analysis, as well as experience with relevant tools, including WordPress, Google Analytics, Google Ads, Mailchimp, Hootsuite, or equivalents
- Some experience with media outreach and public relations. Financial and business press experience will be especially beneficial.
- Minimum of seven years of experience demonstrating increased responsibility with the above competencies and attributes. We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the above responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
CPI is hiring for one position, open immediately. We are seeking someone based in London, San Francisco, or Washington DC, but are open to other UK or US locations for outstanding candidates. The position may require occasional travel.
With your application, attach: (1) CV/resume, (2) a cover letter, (3) 1-2 writing examples authored solely by you, (4) 1-2 examples of work by other authors that you edited.
The cover letter should outline why you want to work with CPI and how your skills and experience align with the position requirements. The writing sample(s) can be provided as external links or uploaded as additional pages in your CV.
The position will remain open until we find the right candidate to join our team. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and we therefore encourage you to submit your application at the earliest opportunity.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Pay range: USD 65,000 – USD 100,000
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and committed to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization.