ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
CPI is an analysis and advisory organization with deep expertise in finance and policy. Our mission is to help governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive economic growth while addressing climate change. We are unique in our focus on finance, our ability to get the right people to the table, and our analytical rigor.
CPI has six offices around the world in Brazil, India, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
CPI’s mission is to increase and accelerate the transition to low carbon, climate resilient economies worldwide. CPI’s climate finance tracking work is the foundation for this mission. Our climate finance data and analysis is used by governments, financial institutions, and business around the world, including for United Nations climate negotiations and technical discussions, for IPCC Assessment Reports, and to develop and inform policy and investment strategies.
CPI is seeking a Senior Communications Associate who will play a key role on CPI’s global communications team, with a focus on supporting communications for CPI’s international, high-profile climate finance tracking program.
You will possess the ability to translate economics, finance, and policy analysis into clear, concise, and accessible insights for investors and policymakers. You will be responsible for leveraging a broad range of communications tools and skills to ensure CPI’s expertise is visible to, and helps provide actionable guidance to, decision makers at the highest levels of business, finance, and government. Candidates should have a strong, demonstrated interest in sustainable business, investment, finance, and economics, and dedication to CPI’s mission and impact.
You will report to a Communications Manager based in London and will collaborate with communications, analysts, leadership, and operations colleagues around the world. You will also work with external stakeholders including funders, investors, partner NGOs, government representatives, and media.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
- Develop and carry out integrated, external communications strategies that are aligned with influencing the intended audience and have measurable KPIs
- Guide content development–including storyboards, key messaging, and structure—and editing of all CPI’s tracking publications
- Oversee production of CPI materials including research products, presentations, graphics, fact sheets, talking points, videos, blog posts, op-eds, social media content, and press materials, targeted for various stakeholder groups.
- Manage the communications calendar and timelines for climate finance tracking program initiatives, publications, and events, including to communicate deadlines and expectations clearly with analysts, leadership, communications team members, and external stakeholders
- Secure and coordinate event and speaking opportunities including to develop talking points for analysts speaking roles at high-level events
- Place stories in top-tier business, financial, and energy sector media
- Manage social media and web content, working with CPI’s Digital Communications Associate
- Train and mentor analysts and leadership on effective communications, including in writing and presentation skills
- Assist with other communications activities as needed
COMPETENCIES & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Progressive multi-years’ experience or demonstrable equivalent skills in a role similar to this one, whether through communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, or a related field
- Independent worker and strategic thinker, who learns quickly and is able to successfully navigate uncharted territory
- Advanced English fluency, especially with writing and editing skills (high proficiency with technical and business content), with the ability to restructure as well as copyedit
- Outstanding organizational, project management, and prioritization skills, with ability to manage multiple deliverables,
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships in a cross-cultural, global working environment, including polished, diplomatic interface with internal and external stakeholders to overcome barriers, meet deadlines, and achieve project goals
- Ability to turn technical economics and finance information into accessible insights for investors, policymakers, and other stakeholders
- Ability to work flexibly and with a solutions-oriented approach, under pressure, and on tight deadlines
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel are heavily used)
- Experience writing in a variety of formats – web, print publications, briefing papers, press releases, etc.
- Experience with media outreach and public relations. Experience with financial media desirable.
- Experience with social media and online content management systems, including WordPress, Google Analytics, Mailchimp, Hootsuite, or equivalents
- Experience in event management and managing stakeholder relationships
- Experience with Airtable or other CRM systems
- Ability to guide and advise on data visualization, collaborating with our talented graphic design and data visualization team to turn our climate finance data into compelling narratives
CPI is hiring for one full-time position, to be based in our London office.
Regrettably CPI is unable to provide visa support for this role and we ask that all Applicants ensure they have the right to work in the United Kingdom before applying.
The position may require occasional international travel.
Location & Compensation
Reports to: Manager
Contract: Permanent, Full Time
Salary Range: £45,000 – £60,000 per annum (depending on experience)
CPI UK is a hybrid working environment, with many of our colleagues spending part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role. Typically, we request that teams spend at least 40% of their time in the office with their colleagues.
We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. We’re also happy to discuss a range of flexible working patterns to meet your individual personal circumstances.
With your application, attach: (1) CV/resume, (2) a cover letter, (3) two writing samples: one authored by you, and one from another author edited by you. Your cover letter should outline why you want to work with CPI and how your skills and experience align with the position requirements. The writing sample(s) should be provided as external links or uploaded as additional pages in your CV.
The position will remain open until we find the right candidate to join our team. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and we therefore encourage you to submit your application at the earliest opportunity.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
CPI Commitment Climate Policy Initiative is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and we are working to embed DEI across every facet of our organisation. We seek to establish a working environment where all board members, staff, volunteers, and contractors feel respected and valued regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation or identity, disability, education, or any other bias. We want to create an inclusive culture