Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is a global research and advisory organisation in climate action with specific focus on tracking and enabling financial flows into climate-positive sectors. CPI has five offices around the world in Brazil, India, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
CPI works in various domains of climate including energy transition, industrial decarbonisation, agriculture, forestry and other land use (AFOLU), adaptation and resilience and green finance.
One of the major pillars of CPI’s work is enabling finance. While sufficient capital is available to transition the world into a low-carbon, climate-resilient economy, current investment in climate-friendly development falls far short of the need. CPI works to redirect finance from high- to low-carbon activities and helps decision makers use their resources wisely. We provide much-needed information on climate finance flows, apply in-depth analysis to guide decision makers on their efforts, and support innovation in finance to address investors’ needs and lower costs.
As a part of enabling capital, we also manage project preparation facilities that utilise grants available from philanthropies to unlock finance for funds-starved sectors, like distributed renewable energy (DRE). Over the past five years, CPI India managed a US$10 million project preparation facility (PPF) – US India Clean Energy Finance, or USICEF (www.usicef.org) – funded by prominent US philanthropies – MacArthur, Good Energies, Hewlett, Packard. The program provided technical assistance funding to support early-stage project development activities of distributed rooftop solar and energy access companies, making them investment-ready for impact investors and lenders. The technical assistance grants helped facilitate capital mobilization of US$303 million from impact investors and commercial lenders for distributed solar asset creation of 365 MW.
Subsequent to the successful conclusion of USICEF, we have launched two follow-on programs – namely India Clean Energy Finance (ICEF) and India PURE Finance Facility (IPFF), which have expanded our focus beyond rooftop solar onto downstream applications of DRE in energy storage, e-mobility/ EV charging, and livelihood-centric productive uses of renewable energy (PURE).
The Senior Analyst, reporting directly to the Senior Program Manager, would be a pivotal part of the project preparation facilities (PPF) team within CPI. This position combines a zest for driving climate impact with analytical prowess and a transaction-oriented approach.
The ideal candidate will bring prior experience related to financial analysis, company appraisal and deal closure. Furthermore, a working interest on specific climate-positive sectors, especially renewable energy, will be hugely valuable in this role.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Anchoring or assisting in market outreach across identified segments and product categories through effective engagement with project developers and enterprises, industry associations like CLEAN and GOGLA, ecosystem enablers, investors/lenders and other stakeholders
- Preparing and updating marketing collaterals and presentations, in coordination with Communications team; convening seminars, webinars and workshops for the decentralised renewable industry
- Empanelling service providers for various project preparation activities
- Applicant Evaluation
- Following up with applicants for ensuring receipt of proposals in the designated format, and ensuring receipt of information
- Conducting visits, wherever required, to applicants’ sites of manufacturing, offices and/or business operations and engaging with discussions with local representatives
- Writing appraisal reports/ memos incorporating all the facets of a case, for presenting to the internal screening committee/ Advisory Committee
- Convening/assisting in convening the committee meetings, participating in discussions and fielding case-related questions, and announcing awardees publicly on the website
- Transaction Advisory/Contract Management
- Finalising scope of work for service providers with awardees, and list and schedule of deliverables
- Engaging with the awardees over the process of selecting service providers, which could include their floating request for proposals (RFPs) and bid processing as per CPI templates
- Managing contracts, monitoring submission of deliverables by selected service providers and interacting with Finance/ Accounts for grant disbursement
- Participating in discussions on deals with potential investors/lenders, wherever required, along with or behalf of the grant awardee; structuring and closing term sheets
- Coordinating with beneficiaries on their impact self-reporting initiatives, collating individual reports for overall program reporting to funder as per pre-determined KPIs for CPI; coordinating with the funders’ Monitoring, Learning & Evaluation (MLE) team and their designated agencies for funders’ impact assessments, wherever required.
- Other roles
- Writing concept notes and thematic reports on various aspects of climate/climate finance like DRE, climate-smart agriculture, etc.
- Engaging with other stakeholders like financiers, industry, multilateral development banks (MDBs), Government institutions, funders, advisory agencies, etc. in possible areas of collaboration
Qualifications & Experience
The candidate should have a commitment to CPI’s mission and values and a passion for addressing climate change related policy and finance issues. S/he should also have at least an active interest in working in the impact space. Besides, s/he should have the following credentials.
A Post Graduate in Management/Finance or Chartered Accountant or Chartered Financial Analyst or have an equivalent experience
- Significant post-qualification experience in relevant financial services, e.g. investment banking, transaction advisory, corporate finance, credit rating and corporate banking.
- Significant experience of preparing financial projection models and deriving relevant ratios and valuation metrics out of them
- Demonstrated experience of closing term sheets from either buy-side or sell-side as part of investment banks, multilateral development banks (MDBs)/ development financial institutions (DFIs) or acquirer/ acquiree entities
Competencies & Personal Attributes
- An independent, analytical mind with an excellent track record of applying sound financial judgement to complex issues.
- Flexibility, professionalism, self-drive and enthusiasm for working as part of a team, with minimum guidance
- An ability to interact with a diverse array of people.
- An ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills including fluency in English; ability to write appraisal reports or research reports quickly with depth of analysis and clarity of articulation
- Willingness to travel domestically.
Location and compensation
CPI is hiring for one permanent/fixed term, full-time Senior Analyst position based in Delhi/NCR.
CPI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Compensation will be dependent on experience.
Visit this link to submit an application. With your application, attach two documents: (1) CV no longer than two pages (2) a compelling cover letter no longer than one page setting out how you meet the requirements of the role and your motivations for wanting to work at CPI.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and open until filled. Apply early.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and we are working to embed DEI across every facet of our organisation. We seek to establish a working environment where all board members, staff, volunteers, and contractors feel respected and valued regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation or identity, disability, education, or any other bias. We want to create an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are openly valued as critical to the success of our organization and the achievement of our mission and vision.
If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application. We will then work with you to identify the best way to assist you through the recruitment process.