CPI is an analysis and advisory organization with deep expertise in finance and policy. Our mission is to help governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive economic growth while addressing climate change. CPI has six offices around the world in Brazil, India, Indonesia, Kenya, the United Kingdom, and the United States. CPI has a new goal to leverage our expertise to increase awareness around innovative climate finance in China. This will take place through three primary activities:
- researching and reporting on the current climate finance landscape in China
- building a network to support and promote climate finance innovation in China
- positioning existing ideas from CPI’s Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance (the Lab) for investment and deployment in China
CPI is looking for a China-based communications consultant or firm with expertise in finance as well as the topics of environment, climate change and China’s ecological civilization goals, to raise visibility for our work and help build our network in China. The primary focus will be on media relations, but other communications strategy, research and execution is required, as specified in the following scope of work.
The primary target audience are government and financial institutions in China, both public, SOE, and private. Examples include retail banks, commercial banks, development banks/funds, asset owners, asset managers, private investors (PE/VC).
Other key audiences include foreign financial institutions operating in China (WFOE, JV, RO); DFIs/MDBs investing in China; academia (environment/climate or finance); and top-tier, domestic environment/climate social organizations.
Scope of Work
We are seeking to engage a consultant or firm on a project basis, with a first launch and outreach in September and October 2020. Depending on the outcome of this initial scope of work, additional work may follow, but would be covered under a separate engagement and scope of work. Estimated support will vary on a week-to-week basis, with scaled-up (full-time) support necessary during launch weeks.
Responsibilities include support in three main areas—Media Relations, Social Media and Events—as described below.
- Media Relations
- Build a media relations resource list. Research broadcast, print, and online channels to develop a prioritized target list of outlets and reporters who report on: Climate regulatory issues in China; Climate finance/sustainable investing in China; and financial innovation in China (eg, startup, fintech)
- Assist with media outreach. Assist CPI in outreach efforts to media and preparing for media interviews in two key areas:
- Climate Finance: pitch media outlets on: (1) CPI content, including research, reports, blog posts and opinion pieces on the current state of green finance in China, tracking and reporting data on green finance, and regulatory reform to improve green finance; and (2) CPI’s China team and our partners to serve as commentators on green finance issues in China
- Green Finance startups and innovative approaches to Green Finance: Pitch media outlets on: reporting on CPI’s Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance (“the Lab”) as part of innovative green finance solutions in China; and reporting on specific climate finance instruments supported by the Lab to help attract investors and launch those instruments in China
2. Social Media
Assist CPI with developing and implementing a WeChat strategy to build its network and visibility for its content.
- Strategy: develop ideas to raise social media profile and gain followers for CPI and its China team members, even though CPI is not currently a registered social organization and therefore does not have an official WeChat account.
- Research: media (outlets and reporters), groups, hashtags to follow/use
- Network/Relationship building: research social media accounts with partners, stakeholders, targets, influencers to follow and target for mentions
- Posting and promoting: develop WeChat campaigns and draft WeChat posts to support key CPI content including research reports, blog posts, oped pieces, webinars, and other content and events
- Monitoring: monitor social media for relevant 3rd-party content to promote/repost
3. Events/Virtual Meetings
- Build CPI’s China stakeholder outreach list through research to target contacts and institutional networks/partnerships
- Support a virtual event(s) to launch CPI’s inaugural Climate Finance Landscape of China
- Potential support of additional live or virtual events to build awareness around innovative green finance, the Lab, and specific climate finance instruments supported by the Lab to help attract investors and launch those instruments in China
- Fluent in English and Mandarin
- Understanding of technical climate finance topics, and how these topics would be perceived in China
- Ability to work across time zones, especially frequent communication with team members based in San Francisco and Washington DC, USA
- Experience and contacts at mainstream and business media outlets. Contacts with reporters who cover finance, startups and innovation, and/or climate/environmental issues highly desired
This engagement will commence no later than 1 September 2020 and extend through October 2020.
Please apply with:
- Cover letter or short proposal outlining your experience relevant to the scope of work
- CV or links to online profiles of the lead contractor and any other significant team members proposed to work on this project
- Examples of previous, relevant work; and
- An estimate of the time and fees required to perform the listed activities in the scope of work.
For fees, you may provide either: the hourly rate for proposed staff; a day rate; or an estimate of total cost.
Proposals are due by 14 August 2020 via this link
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.