ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) works to improve the most important energy, infrastructure and land use policies around the world, with a particular focus on finance. CPI supports decision makers through in-depth analysis on what works and what does not. CPI works in places that provide the most potential for policy impact, including Brazil, Europe, India, Indonesia, Kenya and the United States. Our work helps nations grow while addressing increasingly scarce resources and climate risk. This is a complex challenge in which policy plays a crucial role. CPI is a small but dynamic organization, with a global reach and an entrepreneurial culture. We work hard to maintain an idea-driven, collaborative environment across all our teams.
CPI’s Climate Finance program guides decision makers who are working to ensure economic growth while addressing increasingly scarce resources and climate risk. Enough capital exists to transition the world into a low-carbon, climate-resilient economy. However, current investment in climate-friendly development falls far short of the need. CPI works to redirect finance from high- to low-carbon activities and helps decision makers use their resources wisely. We provide much-needed information on climate finance flows, apply in-depth analysis to guide decision makers on their efforts, and support innovation in finance to address investors’ needs and lower costs.
CPI offers a challenging environment that requires independent thinking, collaboration, and pragmatic problem solving. The role of Analyst supports the deliverables of CPI’s international Climate Finance work stream, focusing on issues such as the mapping of the climate finance landscape, the governance of funds, the evaluation of their allocation and effectiveness, and the design of innovative climate finance instruments that effectively align public and private interests.
Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Climate Law and Governance in CPI’s Rio de Janeiro office, the Senior Analyst will help shape and influence CPI’s strategy and analytical foundation. They will lead the design and manage complex research assignments related to climate finance, advise senior management on program direction and identify opportunities for the program’s growth.
In consultation with the Associate Director they will be expected to deliver high quality outputs on time and within budget. They will build and maintain relationships with analytic, advocacy and other organizations in the climate, land use, and energy policy sphere and provide advice and support to senior management. Previous work experience with climate policy, finance, regulation, and carbon markets, as well as knowledge and understanding of Brazil’s regulatory institutions and/or multilateral or bilateral financial institutions and national or regional development banks and/or private finance institutions are valuable assets.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and others as assigned:
- Perform rigorous quantitative evaluation of national and international climate finance flows directed towards infrastructure, energy and land use in Brazil, conduct analysis of existing climate finance mechanisms and of sectoral policies, such as infrastructure, energy and land use, and contribute to the design of innovative finance mechanisms to drive investment to sustainable infrastructure and conservation of native vegetation.
- Have primary responsibility for work streams and projects as designated by the Associate Director, and under the direction of senior management and ad-hoc advisory committees, develop, manage, and implement complex research assignments and analytical projects
- Identify opportunities to develop and consolidate work streams and collaborate with the development of funding proposals under guidance of Program Director
- Train, manage and provide guidance to junior staff on professional work practices and lead by example
- Manage allocation of HR in line with budgets, implement any reporting requirements
- Engage clients, advise policymakers and investors on the implications of research findings
- Lead the writing and editing of high-quality CPI products, including full reports, executive summaries, blogs, and presentations.
- Communicate and collaborate with CPI staff working around the globe.
- Produce high-quality materials that are fit for purpose time and within budget
- BA or BS degree required with coursework in finance, economics, and policy. Master’s degree in Economics, Finance, Public Policy, or a related, quantitatively rigorous field strongly preferred
- Experience analyzing climate finance, economics of policy choices, and/or energy and climate markets preferred.
- Private sector and/or government or multi-lateral experience preferred
- Understanding of current climate and energy policies under discussion in relevant countries, with a specific focus on the interaction with finance
- Experience analyzing climate finance, economics of policy choices, and/or economic instruments applied to the infrastructure, energy and/or land use sectors. Private sector experience and/or government or multi-lateral experience is valuable.
- Master’s degree in Economics, Finance, Public Policy, or a related, quantitatively rigorous field strongly preferred
COMPETENCIES & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Understanding of current climate and sectoral policies under discussion in Brazil, such as infrastructure, energy and/or land use, with a specific focus on the interaction with finance
- Experience in financial modeling and/or macroeconomic modeling would be a plus
- Independent, analytical mind with a track record of applying sound financial, political and strategic judgment to complex issues
- Flexibility, professionalism, enthusiasm for working as part of a team, and an ability to interact with a diverse array of people
- Strong attention to detail, organization, time management, and prioritization skills, and an ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Superior Portuguese and English written and verbal communications skills
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION
- CPI is hiring for one full-time Analyst position, open immediately. The position will be located in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, but may require occasional regional and international travel. During the current coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, CPI adopts a work from home policy. CPI offers an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package. Compensation will be based on experience
- Visit this link to submit an application. With your application, attach two documents: (1) CV/resume, (2) a cover letter, followed by a writing sample of five pages or less that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next phase of the selection process.
- Aligned with CPI’s commitment to gender equality, we encourage qualified candidates of all genders to apply. We are committed to providing a safe working environment for team members of all genders.
- Climate Policy Initiative is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and we are working to embed DEI across every facet of our organization. We are committed to having a gender diverse team. We have gender parity across our global team and we are working to achieve gender equality within each global office.